Once you know how to find a new barber or stylist, which do you choose? The main difference between the two types of hair cutters is that barbers are typically trained to cut shorter, traditional haircuts for men while salon stylists are trained to cut longer and trendier styles, while both will be able to help you choose the perfect haircut. A barber’s main focus is cutting men’s hair, while a stylist receives more training in the art of styling hair for women. With the industry trend moving toward more upscale barbershops and salons for men, the line between barbers and stylists is becoming blurred. Follow the tips below for choosing the right professional for your style.
Go to a barber if…
- you want for a short, traditional style haircut such as a buzz cut, flattop, fade, or military style cut.
- you want to keep it simple as barbers generally cut hair in a manner that allows it to look good naturally, without a lot of styling product.
- you want a shave. Many upscale barbershops offer face shaves which are a real treat. Just do it. You won’t regret it.
- you want something longer or trendier. Stylists generally have more experience cutting and styling longer hair and stay more current on the latest trends.
- you want color as many barbers do not do color services.
- you want some product. Upscale barbershops and men’s salons frequently carry a greater selection of hair styling products than barbershops.
Of course, knowing how to find a new barber or stylist is key to getting a great haircut. Happy hunting!